Doubts And Misconceptions In Islam
14 Feb – 27 Mar 2022, Mondays
Is there room for doubt in one’s journey to attain confidence in Islam? What is the cause of this doubt and can it be addressed or curbed? Are there any misunderstandings that have affected the beliefs of Muslims, especially those that need to be clarified to the youth?
Misunderstandings of sensitive religious concepts such as jihad and Islam as a religion that excites fear and punishment, as well as societal misunderstandings of Islam as a religion intolerant of cross-religious and intra-sectarian relations have confused not only non-Muslims, but some Muslims are also deceived.
Therefore, there is a need to overcome this misconception, so as not to perpetuate its negative effects in our secular and plural society.
This module will discuss the issue of doubts and misconceptions in Islam, the root causes of the problem and ways to address the issue, in the context of a plural society and a global world.
1. Definition of doubt and certainty.
2. Different types and phases of doubt.
3. Causes and sources of doubt in Islam.
4. Views from quantitative studies on religious skepticism.
5. An overview of misconceptions about Islam.
6. Islamic position on misconceptions about Islam.
7. Dealing with the misconception that Allah is a God to be feared and Islam is a religion based on fear and punishment.
8. Overcoming the misconception that Islam is intolerant of cross-religious and intra-sectarian relations and that the Muslim community is a socially exclusive community.
modular, malay, zoom, classes, lessons, faith, lessons, doubt, aqidah