Between 1824 to 1825, a group of settlers from Bengkulu (Indonesia) built an attap mosque along Bencoolen Street and called it Masjid Bencoolen. In 1845, the Arab trader and philanthropist, Syed Omar Ali Aljunied, upgraded the mosque into a solid building flanked by two shophouses on each side. He then made the entire complex a wakaf, or Islamic endowment, and it then became known as Wakaf Masjid Bencoolen.
The mosque was upgraded in 2002 and reopened its doors to the public in 2004. Today, while serving the needs of Indian Muslims – with key sermons and classes conducted in Tamil – the mosque is an important prayer space for all Muslims working and studying in the Rochor, Dhoby Ghaut and City Hall area.