Established in 1827, it was a mosque for the Chulias – Tamil Muslims from south India – and was a simple structure known amongst the Tamil community then as Kuchu Pallior ‘hut mosque’. The present building was built between 1850 and 1855, standing on a land that aligns with the urban planning grid while also facing Makkah.
Set in a row of shophouses, the front of the building incorporates the five-foot walkway and is estimated to be the width of three shophouses. Originally a single-storey structure, the 1986-1989 renovations added a second storey. The mosque was declared a national monument on 19 November 1974.