First built as a single-storey mosque in 1895 on the land bequeathed by Essabhai Motabhai, it was then a small mosque serving the needs of the Dawoodi Bohra community in Singapore. Over the years the Dawoodi Bohra community flourished and increased. The economic growth of Singapore brought with it many professionals to work and settle in Singapore.
In the late 1990s, to accommodate the needs of a growing community, a project to build a bigger mosque was embarked upon. The mosque was renovated into a 10-storey complex and reopened in 2000.